Update (June 22nd, 2020): A digital driving license system has been introduced in Punjab to facilitate residents. No need to submit a long list of documents, instead the driving licenses can now be issued on CNICs and bank challan. Moreover, those citizens whose driving licenses have expired can also get it renewed through this digital platform.
Getting your driving license is not easy. You need to pass a driving license test and if you are successful at it, you will then be handed over your driving license. However, the process could take days. You would need to make multiple visits to get your driving license. What if we tell you that all of this can be done online? Yes! Thanks to the government’s Digital Punjab initiative, Driving License Information Management System (DLIMS) can help you get your license at your doorstep. The entire painstaking process of seeking your driving permit is now done with a click of a button. In this blog, we will walk you through the steps involved in applying, verifying and tracking your driving license through DLIMS.
First, let us understand what DLIMS Punjab is and how you can benefit from the government’s website.
But first, it is important to understand the purpose of DLIMS and the benefits one can derive from it.
What is DLIMS?
Driving License Information Management System (DLIMS) is a government run website that offers a one stop solution to all your licensing needs. The system helps provide quick issuance of driving license, renewal and upgrades by automating the entire process. It also provides up-to-date statistics regarding who applied for the driving license and when to the relevant authorities by using state of the art technology. DLIMS also provides tracking and verification services online. This means you don’t have to wait in long queues outside the driving license office and you can easily track your driving license online through DLIMS.
Whether you need to apply for a learner’s permit, a permanent license or an international license, or for a duplicate and renewed license, you will find the information regarding documents on DLIMS along with their respective forms.
Here are some salient features of DLIMS
- Issuance of driving license
- Issuance of challan tickets
- A consolidated database of driving license of entire Punjab
- Tracking of driving license through DLIMS
- Delivery of driving license through courier service after the applicant verifies
- The process ensures transparency
Applying for Your Driving License through DLIMS
When applying for a driving license in Lahore or in Punjab, you need to visit the DLIMS website and click on the ‘Apply Now’ button appearing on the home page. If you are wondering which documents you need to take with you when visiting the driving license centre, then check out the complete requirements shared on the DLIMS page.
You will find different categories: Learner’s permit, Permanent license, International license, Duplicate license, Endorsement of license and Renewal of license.
Let us first check out the documents you would need when applying for a learner’s license in Lahore. Remember, you need to be 18 years old to get your learner’s permit. For rickshaw, taxi and tractor the age limit is 21 years. The validity of a learner’s license is for 6 months only.
Documents for Learner’s License
- A copy of National Identity Card
- A Ticket of Rs.60 from any post office.
- Get a code book of traffic rules & regulation from Traffic Police Office
- A medical certificate from any authorized medical practitioner
For a permanent driving license, you need the following documents.
Documents for Permanent License
- Original learner’s permit of at least 6 weeks
- Application form available on DLIMS
- Medical certificate
- 3 passport size recent attested photographs
- An attested copy of CNIC
- Paste a ticket of mentioned fee on license document
Fees for a Permanent Driving License
- For a motorcycle, the driving test fee is PKR 50 and the issuance fees of a driving license for a period of 5 years is PKR 500. This makes it a total of PKR 550 fees for getting a permanent license for motorcycle.
- For a car, the driving test fee is a bit high i.e. PKR 150 and the issuance fee of a driving license for a period of 5 years is PKR 750, which means the total fees of getting a driving license for a car is PKR 900
If you are looking to make a duplicate driving license, then you should bring these documents.
Documents Required for a Duplicate License
- Filled out duplicate application form
- An attested copy of CNIC
- 2 attested most recent photographs
- Expiry date of license from the computer section
- FIR (Lost License report) from the police station
Fees Required to Get a Duplicate License
- For a motorcycle, the fees is PKR 100
- For a motorcar, you need to pay PKR 150
If you plan to renew your driving license, the requirements are slightly different.
Documents Required for Driving License Renewal
- No charges for renewal of license within one month
- 50% fine will be charged after a month and before 90 days
- If 90 days have passed then 100% fine will be charged
We will now take a look at how tracking your driving license through DLIMS can be done.
In a first, a digital driving license system has been introduced in collaboration with Punjab Information Technology Board and Police Officer Rawalpindi by issuing licenses based on CNICs and bank challans instead of submitting the above-mentioned documents. This will facilitate the residents in getting their licenses on time without spending hours in long queues.
Tracking Your Driving License through DLIMS
It functions the same way as when you use a delivery service and track your parcel’s delivery. It will not tell you the location but will give you an idea whether the parcel is ready for delivery or not. All you have to do is track your driving license by entering your CNIC without any dashes. When you click on the Track button, you will see the results in no time. In case you have entered the wrong CNIC then it will say ‘No data found.’ So, be careful when writing down the CNIC.
Verifying Your Driving License through DLIMS
You can verify the driving license of your driver by adding your CNIC on the portal. There is a captcha as well which you need to write down. Complete information regarding the entered CNIC will be provided with the click of a button. You will get the issuance date of the driving license. You will also find whether the driving license is valid or not and its date of expiry. This is how checking driving license online can be done.
So, this is how verification and tracking of your driving license through DLIMS is done. If you live in the City of Lights, then check out how to apply for a driving license in Karachi. Moreover, adopt these safety principles while driving in heavy rain or during snowfall. Don’t forget to write to us at email@example.com and we will surely get back to you. Subscribe to the Zameen Newsletter appearing on the right hand side of the page. Stay tuned to Zameen Blog, the best real estate and property blog in Pakistan.