In This Post:
About Multan International Airport, Multan
Security at MIAP
Code of Multan Airport
History of Multan International Airport
Location of MIAP
Facilities at MIAP
Multan Airport’s helpline/inquiry number
General Guidelines for Passengers
We had recently shared comprehensive guides on international airports in different cities of Pakistan, including Karachi, Islamabad, Lahore, and Sialkot. Similar to our past posts, we are back with a new guide, and this time we’re covering Multan International Airport (MIAP) from every possible angle.
Multan Airport – alternatively known as Muhammad Bin Qasim International Airport – is the city’s first aerodrome with numerous amenities to facilitate both international and domestic flyers. Besides facilitating people of the city, the airport is also frequently used by travellers from nearby towns and cities, including Pakpattan, Vehari, Sahiwal, Muzaffargarh, Rajanpur, and Khanewal.
As per usual, we’ve divided this post into small segments. From history to the contact number, location to extended facilities, we have tried to cover everything to present a complete picture of the airport to you. You can use the links given above for easy navigation to your desired section.
So, without further ado, let’s get on board!
More About Multan International Airport
Located near the outskirts of the city of saints, Multan Airport or Multan International Airport falls under the jurisdiction of the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) of Pakistan. The history of Multan Airport predates the creation of Pakistan. Speaking of which, the airbase of Multan Airport was used by the Royal Airforce before the year 1934.
Multan Airport comprises a single passenger terminal used for both international and domestic departures/arrivals. The arrival hall at Multan Airport can accommodate up to 135 passengers at a time. It is further occupied by kiosks and a conveyor belt system. Comparatively, the departure hall is much bigger [in the area], and it can handle up to 300 passengers. The departure area also houses a mosque, toilet, and around 50 check-in desks of different airlines.
Security at Multan Airport
Just like most airports in Pakistan, the security at Multan Airport is looked after by the Civil Aviation Management in association with the Airport Security Force (ASF). There are CCTV cameras installed at every corner to monitor the whereabouts of passengers and airport employees. The guards at the airport are fully equipped with weapons, while the airport is equipped with the latest security systems to ensure the well-being of passengers, employees, and visitors.
Code of Multan Airport
The International Air Transport Association (IATA) issues a unique code to each airport worldwide to endorse their authority and the right to operate domestic and international flights. The primary functions of this organisation include factors such as security and reliability. The IATA airport code of Multan Airport is MUX.
Similarly, the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) looks after the international air traffic and oversees flight plans. The ICAO airport code of Multan Airport is OPMT.
History of Multan International Airport
According to the official website of the Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), the modern history of Multan International Airport began in June 2010. Here’s a precise timeline of the development of MIAP [adapted from CAA’s official website]:
- June 2010: Inauguration of the construction work for Terminal building (Phase II) and completion of a new runway equipped with the Cat-I AFL system and ILS/ localiser system.
- October 2010: Inauguration of PIA’s first direct Hajj Flight
- January 2011: Establishment of a fire station aligned with ICAO Fire Category-9 comprising a total of 8 garages.
- July 2011: Inauguration of a new ramp that can accommodate up to four aircraft simultaneously..
- April 2012: AFL operation shifted to the new vault room.
- May 2012: Completed development work in ASF Staff Colony.
- June 2013: Establishment of new ATC Tower.
- September 2013: A brand new vehicle parking facility for Hujjaz and discontinuation of Haji Camp.
- October 2013: Foundation of a Muslim praying centre by DG Civil Aviation Authority.
- August 2014: Completion of CAA Colony, CAA officers & staff messes, and new cargo building.
- December 2014: Delivery of 11 KV electric supply connection.
Location of Multan International Airport
Just a few minutes’ drive from the main city and adjacent to PIA Colony, Multan International Airport enjoys a perfect location in the city of saints. It is constructed on Airport Road and linked to some of the city’s major arteries, such as Nusrat Road and Kaswar Gardezi Road. These roads further connect the airport to Northern Bypass and Multan Bypass at a later point. You can also reach the airport via Vehari Road.
Some of the most popular neighbourhoods of the city are located in close proximity to MIAP. Multan Cantt, Rasheedabad, Suraj Miani, Rana Homes, and Gulgasht Colony are a few significant residential areas to mention in this regard. It takes around a drive of 20-30 mins to reach the airport from the aforementioned areas.
How to Get to Multan International Airport?
As mentioned above, Multan Airport is easily accessible from any part of the city via major roads and highways. You can also use different modes of transportation to reach the airport at your convenience. If you want a bit more comfortable ride, you can use the various cab services to and from the airport.
According to the official website of Multan Airport, S.T.H.N offers rental car services to and from the airport. You can also book a cab in advance by calling the number given below:
S.T.H.N Rent-A-Car Service: 0300-7735641
Operational Airlines at Multan International Airport
|Airline Name||Contact Number||Official Website|
|Pakistan International Airline (PIA)||061-9200024||www.piac.com.pk|
Booking a Flight from Multan Airport
Booking a flight from Multan Airport to anywhere in the world or county is quite easy. Just call the desired airline on the contact numbers or log on to their website [mentioned above]. You can check the flight schedule of Multan Airport by navigating to the flight info section on CAA’s official page of Multan Airport. Just enter the name of the airline and other essential information.
When to Arrive for Your Flight at MIAP?
Your airport arrival time mainly depends on the schedule of your flight and your destination. As per the official website of CAA, we have explained the ideal arrival time below:
- If you are flying domestically via MIAP, it is recommended to arrive at least 2 hours before your flight.
- International flyers should arrive at least 4 hours before the scheduled take-off because the checking-in process and airport transfers are quite lengthy.
Pro Tip: It is best to look at the city’s traffic conditions and plan accordingly if you do not want to miss the flight.
Facilities at Multan Airport
Now, let’s learn more about some noteworthy facilities at Multan International Airport.
- Emergency and Medical Services
- Protocol & Porter Services
- Special Care for Senior Citizens
Emergency and Medical Services
The airport’s medical facility is located adjacent to the CAA mosque and can be approached easily by any passenger. If you can’t find it, you can contact the CAA facilitation or information help desk at the arrival, departure, and CIP lounge. As per the official website, emergency and medical services at Multan Airport are built to serve for two purposes:
“To provide best first-aid medical facilities to passengers of all airlines, airport functionaries, CAA employees, and an emergency evacuation of serious cases to the nearest Govt. Hospital for medical facilities.” And, “Inspection of food outlets and other areas to ensure hygienic and quality standards.”
Protocol & Porter Services
Multan Airport features porter services under the umbrella of “Protocol & Porter Services”. These services are made available for all passengers arriving or departing to/from the airport. It enables the passengers to transport their luggage easily from the drop-lane to check-in counters at the time of arrival. The Paid Porter Service (PPS) can be availed for:
PPS Charges for Domestic Passengers: PKR 200/-
PPS Charges for International Passengers: PKR 400/-
You can also contact the airport facility to find out more about this service. Use the number below:
Protocol and Porter Services at Multan Airport: 061-9202601 | Ext: 6047
Special Care for Senior Citizens
Specialised care facilities are made available for needy passengers and senior citizens under the umbrella of “Special Care for Senior Citizens”. It is recommended that passengers [with special needs] inform their respective airlines about their requirements. Besides, passengers can also contact the concerned airline for wheelchair services on their special counters that are generally situated near the arrival or departure halls.
Additional Services at Multan Airport
Some additional facilities at Multan Airport are mentioned below:
- Free Internet Access
- Mosque and Prayer Rooms
- Post Office, ATMs, and Banks
- Transportation Services
- Food, Drink, and Retail Stores
- Baggage Trolleys
- Mobile Charging Stations
General Guidelines for Passengers Flying From Multan Airport
Following are the general guidelines for both domestic and international passengers flying from Multan Airport:
- Do not carry any banned goods such as drugs, liquor, weapons, and endangered wildlife species.
- Passengers must not forget to collect their baggage after the screening from customs, ANF, and ASF.
- You should never hand over your luggage to anyone at the airport. Always keep your belongings close to you. Do not take anything from strangers, especially food, drinks, bags, etc.
- Do not forget to bring your National Identity Card and Passport.
- Do not place valuable belongings [such as currency, jewellery, laptop, mobile phone, or any other gadgets, watch] in your check-in luggage during departure.
- If someone asks you to look after their baggage or belongings, deny them immediately.
- Take special care of your luggage at all times, even in the flight.
- It is recommended to acquire essential information regarding ticket/journey from the airline representative at the time of arrival.
- Register your complaint regarding loss, damage, or theft immediately with the respective airline or its representative upon arrival at your destination.
- Strictly follow the baggage weight limit policy to avoid any hassles.
- Follow all the instructions written on the airline ticket.
Last but not least, carrying liquor is banned in Pakistan. If found, the items will be confiscated immediately at the arrival lounge. However, non-Muslim passengers can avail this facility from designated places and hotels, but they will need a special permit for that.
Contact Details of Multan Airport
If you need any further information, you can call the inquiry number for Multan Airport:
Multan Airport’s Contact Number: 061-9202601-6 | Ext: 6050
So, this was our complete guide to Multan International Airport. We have tried to cover every query about this airbase in Multan. However, if we have missed anything, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We aim to promote tourism in Pakistan. Help us in our cause by subscribing to Zameen Blog. Just enter your email address in the box on the right side of your screen. Hit subscribe, and you’ll get our posts delivered directly to your inbox.
Disclaimer: The information in this blog has been extracted from the official sources and websites of the Multan International Airport. This blog aims to provide a handy guide to the airport in Multan. It will help you with smooth navigation as well as airport transfers. We’d also like to mention that Zameen.com is not responsible in case the information alters or contradicts the official sources. However, we take the responsibility of updating the information timely.
Note: Some images in this post, including the cover image, have been sourced from the official page of Multan International Airport.