Defence Housing Authority (DHA) is one of the few residential schemes in Lahore where building bylaws are followed rather strictly. This effective implementation gives this upscale housing society an unrivalled symmetry, making sure that the perfectly aligned houses, well-manicured parks, carpeted roads, meticulously-planned commercial markets and immaculately landscaped greenbelts leave a lasting impression. However, not a lot of property owners are aware of the construction bylaws in DHA, Lahore, since they expect their architects and contractors to take care of the matter.
To be completely honest, that should never be the case.
If you own a plot in DHA, one of the most popular places to buy property in Lahore, and are planning to build a house there, you should at least familiarize yourself with some imperative building and construction guidelines.
Whether you are planning to build a 5 marla house or a lavish 1 kanal unit, here are some of the most important DHA, Lahore, bylaws that you must be aware of.
Before we begin, let’s clarify some of the ground rules laid down by the Defence Housing Authority regarding the construction of buildings in the neighbourhood.
- DHA, Lahore, provides a Completion Certificate to all buildings constructed according to its bylaws
- This DHA Completion Certificate is mandatory to buy or sell property in the housing society
- DHA has the right to demolish un-approved structures
- If an unapproved structure cannot be demolished, the owner will be required to pay a fine of PKR 2,500 per sq ft.
- One cannot convert a residential plot in DHA, Lahore, into any other type without the approval of the Executive Board.
Standard Sizes of Residential Plots
As per the building bylaws in DHA, Lahore, these are the standard sizes of residential plots in the area:
|5 marla plots||25 ft x 45 ft|
|7 marla plots||30 ft x 52.5 ft|
|8 marla plots||30 ft x 60 ft|
|10 marla plots||35 ft x 64 ft OR 35 ft x 65 ft|
|1 kanal plots||50 ft x 90 ft|
|2 kanal plots||100 ft x 90 ft OR 75 ft x 120 ft|
The maximum size of residential plots in the area in 2 kanal. However, as per the guidelines available on the official website of DHA, Lahore, if the size of a plot is increased or decreased due to town planning or re-planning, the owner will be required to pay the price of the extra square footage or claim refund, whichever is applicable.
The same goes for corner plots. Since corner plots cost more than the others, the owner will be reimbursed by the authority in case the corner plot ceases to exist due to town re-planning.
As for the amalgamation of two or more residential plots in DHA, Lahore, the authority may allow it on its discretion, given that the owner pays the required fee and the maximum size of the building doesn’t exceed 2 kanal.
Similarly, you are only allowed to build one house on a plot. The Defence Housing Authority may allow subdivision in case of a 2 kanal residential plot, though the owner must submit an application with all the required documents and clear any outstanding dues to obtain permission.
Submission of Building Plans/Drawings for Approval
For construction in DHA, Lahore, the property owner must first submit an application form along with the following documents in person to the Customer Care counters.
- Original building plan/drawing on a tracing cloth along with seven ammonia prints, one soft copy in AutoCAD format and two ammonia copies. The building plan must be signed by a registered architect.
- Original Architect Stability Certificate along with a photocopy
- Forms A and B (Fill in owner’s current address)
- A copy of the site plan issued by Building Control Branch
- A copy of allotment or transfer letter for DHA, Lahore, ownership verification.
- Original Structure Stability Certificate along with a photocopy
- A copy of the owner’s Computerized National Identity Card (CNIC)
- Paid challan receipt of the drawing scrutiny fee.
- General Undertaking on PKR 50 affidavit
- Undertaking on PKR 50 affidavit for temporary bathroom
- Undertaking on PKR 50 affidavit in case of a basement
- Undertaking on PKR 50 affidavit in case of a swimming pool
- Undertaking on PKR 50 affidavit for no claim of services (if needed)
All undertakings must be signed by the owner and attested by the Oath Commissioner. The specimen for the undertakings are available with Customer Care.
As per the bylaws for construction projects in DHA, Lahore, the building plans/drawings must include external dimensions of the main buildings, internal dimensions of all rooms, schedule of open and covered areas, construction details of underground and overhead tanks along with the layout of water supply and sewerage tanks with other important details.
The owner must submit the required documents at Customer Care counter numbers 6, 7, 8 or 9 and obtain a payment slip for challan generation by the Finance Branch. Once paid, its photocopy will be attached to the submitted plan and other documents. The property owner will be issued an acknowledgement slip. If the drawings are approved, the owner will visit the Building Control Branch to get the payment slip for Transfer of Immovable Property (TIP) tax, which is levied at 3 percent. The owner will have to provide three photocopies of the paid challan to collect the approved building plan.
The construction in DHA, Lahore, must commence within one month after the approval of drawings and demarcation. The building bylaws dictate the project must be completed within two years.
It is important to mention that you can download required DHA, Lahore, application forms from the official website free of cost.
The Most Important Construction Bylaws in DHA, Lahore
Here are some of the most significant building bylaws in DHA, Lahore, which all members must be aware of:
- The plot owner must obtain approval from Defence Housing Authority for any construction, alteration, addition, demolition or renovation of the building.
- You can remove the boundary wall between two neighbouring houses or install a common door only in cases of blood relation between the owners, subject to the approval from the concerned authorities. However, the owners will be required to construct a boundary wall or remove the common door before selling either or both of the properties.
- The authorized officers are allowed to inspect the building at various stages of construction without prior notice. An officer can also visit your property following the completion of construction and demolish any structures than were either unapproved or violate the construction bylaws in DHA, Lahore.
- The maximum height of residential buildings in Phases 1 to 4 must not exceed 30 ft from the road. Meanwhile, the maximum heights of buildings in Phases 5 and onwards can be 35 ft.
- The living room ceiling must not be less than 9.5 ft and should not exceed 12 ft.
- The height of the basement ceiling must be at least 9 ft and not more than 10 ft.
- The height of a car porch should be at least 9 ft. It also should not exceed the height of the ground floor.
- The depth of a car porch should be at least 12 ft (excluding 2 ft projection) and should not be more than 18 ft.
- You cannot use common boundary walls to build car porch columns
- For 5 marla plots in DHA Lahore, the covered area of the first floor can be 100 percent of the permissible area of the ground floor. However, for 10 marla, 1 kanal and 2 kanal units, the covered area of the first floor must not exceed 75 percent of the covered area on the ground floor.
- Only single story basements are allowed in the residential areas
- Defence Housing Authority has permitted the installation of 2 ft wide roof projection with a 6-inch dropdown.
- The maximum allowed height for the boundary wall is 7 ft.
- You can install up to 2 ft high electric wire fence on the boundary wall after obtaining a No-Objection Certificate from the neighbouring houses. Nevertheless, the total height of the structure (wall + fence) must not exceed 9 ft.
- Only 1 kanal and above properties are allowed to construct a swimming pool.
- No one is allowed to bore well, water pump or install a motor directly on the water supply line
- For subdivision or amalgamation of plots, the owner must submit an application on the prescribed form to Defence Housing Authority.
Clear Spaces around the Building
In accordance with the DHA, Lahore, construction bylaws, homeowners must leave certain clear spaces around the building.
|5 marla||5 ft||3 ft||3 ft||–|
|7 marla||7 ft||3 ft||3ft||–|
|8 marla||8 ft||4 ft||4 ft||–|
|10 marla||10 ft 9 inches||5 ft 4.5 inches||5 ft 4.5 inches||–|
|1 kanal||15 ft 9 inches||5 ft 4.5 inches||5 ft 4.5 inches||5 ft 4.5 inches|
|2 kanal (100 ft x 90 ft)||15 ft 9 inches||8 ft 4.5 inches||5 ft 4.5 inches||5 ft 4.5 inches|
|2 kanal (75 ft x 120 ft)||20 ft 9 inches||8 ft 4.5 inches||5 ft 4.5 inches||5 ft 4.5 inches|
That’s our wrap on DHA bylaws for constructing a residential building in Lahore.
Meanwhile, if you’re interested in buying property in DHA, Lahore, you can browse through the listings on Zameen.com – the top property portal in Pakistan. However, if you want to tailor your search even further, here are the best phases with 10 marla plots for sale in DHA, Lahore. In case you are looking for a bigger property, check out the top areas to buy 1 kanal plots in DHA, Lahore. For the residents of the City of Lights, our guide on construction bylaws in DHA Karachi might come in handy.
To learn more about buying real estate in Lahore or any other major cities, stay connected to Zameen Blog, the best property and construction blog in Pakistan. You can also send us your questions about DHA, Lahore, rules and regulations on email@example.com. Also, you are advised to subscribe to our newsletter to stay up-to-date about the latest home décor trends, construction prices and real estate developments in the country.