Budget is the most important factor to consider while renovating the house. In the case of flooring, it is not just the price of the material used but also the labour cost that defines the kind of flooring you want. To save you from a tiring market survey and help you pick the right base for your abode, let’s discuss different home flooring options in Pakistan for this year.
Modern home flooring trends in 2019
Installing a new floor is one of the more challenging and exhausting projects a homeowner undertakes. But, don’t worry. You can check out the following materials and make an informed decision:
- Solid wood floors
- Laminate wood flooring
- Vinyl (or PVC) flooring sheets
Marble is no doubt one of the best construction materials that can be used for flooring. It is strong and durable, and due to low maintenance costs, marble might just be the right material for your home.
With dozens of varieties available in different price ranges, it is popular among people at large. However, before buying any article, it’s important to explore the current marble prices in Pakistan. They keep changing, so it’s always a good idea to explore the market first.
It is interesting to note that smaller tiles of marble are cheaper than their bigger counterparts even when they cover the same area. The long-lasting texture and smooth finish of marble have earned a good reputation. This is what makes marble stone flooring one of the best home flooring options in Pakistan for 2019.
Pros and Cons of marble flooring
- They give a refined and natural look to your interiors
- Marble floor tiles can catch stains if any coloured liquid falls on the floor
- These tiles have an illuminating effect when natural light penetrates them
- They feel cold under the feet during winters
- One of the major cons is that marble floor tiles can get easily cracked
The price of unpolished marble tiles range between PKR 100 and PKR 400 per square foot.
Solid wood floors
Wooden floors are back in fashion and because of a huge variety available, you can actually pick and choose. Hardwood floors can be really expensive but they offer a classic and chic look to any interior. They are mostly used in the drawing room or in the master bedroom for a luxurious feel. For many people, hardwood floors have no substitute. Hardwood floors require proper maintenance to keep them safe from moisture and termites. To maintain their lustre, regular polish might also be needed. They are water-sensitive too and cannot get damp. One of the best features of modern wood flooring is that it can always be pulled up and re-installed elsewhere whenever you decide to move, thereby making it a viable option for renters as well.
Pros and Cons of Solid Wood Flooring
- Currently one of the most expensive and home flooring options in Pakistan
- Solid wood flooring is durable and sustainable
- Solid wood flooring can be easily re-installed
- It requires proper maintenance
- Solid wood floors are water-sensitive and it is better not to use them in kitchens
For hardwood, oak and teak are popular modern wood flooring options in Pakistan. The current per square foot rate of hardwood varies between PKR 585 – PKR 680. It’s always wise to compare two or more options. Therefore, if you’re considering wood, try to weigh it against, let’s say, marble floor tile prices in Pakistan.
Laminate wood flooring
Laminate wood flooring is a multi-layer synthetic material and gives the impression of a hardwood floor. It is made through a lamination process and is finished with an applique photographic layer.
This type of flooring has gained significant popularity because, as compared to hardwood and marble flooring, as it is easier to install and maintain and at the same time it is much cheaper. The labour required to install a laminate floor can also be employed at reasonable rates.
Pros and Cons of Laminate Wood Flooring
- Laminate flooring is easy to install
- It can be replaced easily
- Laminate flooring is more durable than wooden flooring
- Easy to clean – All you need is a dry mop to clean laminate floors
- Laminate flooring requires low-maintenance
- A major con: laminate floors cannot tolerate long-standing pools of water
It is cost-effective and requires less maintenance. If you want affordable flooring options on a certain budget, then you can explore this option.
Interwood offers laminate boards from PKR 175 to PKR 350 per square foot.
Vinyl (PVC) Flooring Sheet
If marble prices in Pakistan are a little out of your budget or if you find wood flooring too expensive, there’s an agreeable alternative you can explore.
For those with a limited budget, the best option for a fancy floor can be vinyl. Vinyl flooring is considered one of the most inexpensive home flooring options in Pakistan. Vinyl is an engineered product, made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Vinyl floors can be used pretty much everywhere because of their durable nature. The material is water-resistant. You do not have to worry if water spills on the floor, especially in kitchens and bathrooms, which are damp areas.
Moreover, Vinyl flooring is twice as cost-effective as laminate flooring, if applied by professionals, gives almost exactly the same look as a laminate, marble or even granite floor. However, like all other materials discussed in this piece, please make sure to check out the current vinyl flooring prices in Pakistan. It will more or less be more affordable than marble or granite floor tile prices.
Pros and cons of modern Vinyl or PVC flooring sheets
- Vinyl flooring is affordable yet has modern floor design
- Vinyl flooring sheets are impermeable to water
- Vinyl has a shorter life than wooden flooring
- The best part about Vinyl flooring is that it is weather-resistant
- One of the major cons of having vinyl flooring is that it is hard to repair
Vinyl flooring prices in Pakistan usually range between PKR 55 and PKR 90 per square foot.
Now that you’ve gone over house flooring options, how about some tips on maintenance? If you’re looking for something that requires less hassle — and money — check out our budget-friendly ways to clean different types of floor tiles.
For more tips on creative home décor, subscribe to Zameen Blog, Pakistan’s best lifestyle blog.