Karachi: Commissioner Karachi Syed Hassan Naqvi has directed the Sindh Buildings Control Authority (SBCA) to expedite the survey, evacuation and demolition of dangerous buildings across the city to prevent further structural failures.
Chairing a meeting on Wednesday, Naqvi said the priority is to ensure the safety of residents living in dilapidated structures and to minimise the risk of future building collapses. He also instructed that no historical building be demolished without consultation and approval from the Heritage Foundation.
Additional Commissioner Karachi-I Ghulam Mehdi Shah briefed the meeting on the status of dangerous buildings, noting that Chief Minister Sindh Syed Murad Ali Shah had ordered urgent measures following the July 4 building collapse in Lyari. He said the SBCA had been tasked with completing the physical survey of 588 extremely dangerous buildings, while demolition of 59 already evacuated structures should be fast-tracked.
Read: SBCA launches anti-collapse drive in Hyderabad
Officials were informed that demolition work on the evacuated buildings had already begun, with one structure demolished and another scheduled for Thursday. The number of extremely dangerous buildings has also risen to 610 following updated SBCA assessments.
Deputy Commissioner South Javed Nabi Khoso was assigned to prepare a detailed report on demolition progress and to complete the survey of evacuated buildings ahead of the next review meeting.
The meeting was attended by senior officials including the Director General SBCA Muzamil Hussain Halepoto, Deputy Commissioner Keamari Raja Tariq Chandio, and representatives from the Buildings Control Authority.