Gujrat: The government of Punjab has decided to set up three types of ponds as reservoirs to conserve and store rainwater, a news source reported. Purportedly, this water will be used for irrigation purposes, in order to prevent the wastage of water. This decision was made on Tuesday, during a meeting of a district agricultural advisory committee chaired by Deputy Commissioner Dr Khurram Shahzad.
Reportedly, these reservoirs are going to be developed through a public-private partnership. The government will cover 80% of the costs, while farmers will cover the remaining 20%, which will also include the procurement of the land required for this development.
The district administration has decided to establish at least 10 such ponds across the district of Gujrat during the current fiscal year. The government seemingly wants to establish the reservoirs in arid rural areas where canal water is not available.
Agriculture Deputy Director Irfanullah Warraich stated that the government was trying to utilise modern methods and technologies to help farmers. They aimed to enhance production and reduce the dangers of smog and plastic. The government has been taking various steps and has started several initiatives to aid farmers throughout the year.