Islamabad: The Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) on Thursday approved 13 major uplift projects worth PKR 322.44 billion, according to news sources.
These projects were approved in the council’s meeting which was presided over by Finance Minister Dr Abdul Hafeez Shaikh. As per the details shared, the following are some of the approved projects:
- Several World Bank-funded human capital investment projects for Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) aimed at improving the availability, utilisation and quality of primary healthcare facilities – at a cost of PKR 13.260 billion.
- The land acquisition of 10,000 kanals was approved for Swat Motorway Phase II – through the Federal Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP) funding of PKR 20 billion.
- The council also approved the development of an additional two-lane and enhancement of the existing two-lane carriageway of the Shikarpur-Rajanpur section of the Indus Highway (N-55) with an estimated cost of PKR 44.704 billion.
- The Greater Karachi Water Supply Scheme (K-IV) of 260 MGD capacity Phase-I was also approved.
- Naj Gaj Dam Project for Dadu was also approved to be constructed with PKR 46.98 billion.
- The construction of the 69-km-long (four-lane) Sambrial-Kharian Motorway was also approved to be developed at a cost of PKR 43.383 billion.
In addition to these, several irrigation and water resources management projects were also approved.