Lahore: Punjab Chief Minister (CM) Sardar Usman Ahmed Khan Buzdar, on Friday (July 10) provided his approval to the formation of the River Urban Development Authority (RUDA), according to a news source. The authority will be responsible for managing the establishment of a modern, Dubai-like new city along the banks of River Ravi in the north of Lahore.
The Punjab government will soon promulgate the ordinance for establishment of RUDA while the CM will be the authority’s chairman. The main task of RUBA will be geared towards establishing the new city along the bank of River Ravi. In order to keep the city safe from flood waters, the provincial government will construct three barrages on the river and develop a big lake to meet the water needs of the new city.
RUDA will also work for the rehabilitation of the dying river and turn it into a freshwater body. This will help make the new project a sustainable development. For this purpose, RUDA will also install waste water treatment plants along the river.
Here are some details on the project:
- The city will be modelled after Dubai
- It will span over an area of 100,000 acres
- The project is expected to fetch investment worth PKR 5 trillion from the private sector
- The city will feature high-rise commercial, residential and mixed-use buildings
- Establishment of the city will help solve several major issues such as the shortage of water, pollution and traffic congestion in Lahore