Islamabad: The Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) approved projects worth PKR 672 million on Wednesday, a news source reported. In addition to the Gwadar Eastbay Expressway, the committee approved several highways and power sector infrastructure projects.
Advisor to the Prime Minister (PM) on Finance & Revenue Hafeez Shaikh presided over the ECNEC meeting. During the meeting, the authority approved the following projects:
- Eastbay Expressway project of China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) at PKR 17.4 billion
- 21-kilometre (km) Yellow Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Corridor at PKR 61.439 billion
- 55-km Peshawar-Torkham Motorway at PKR 36.705 billion (along with the provision to form a coordination committee between the federal government and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) government for overview & fiscal discipline)
- Interlinking of Daharki, Bahawalpur, Rahim Yar Khan, and Chistian grid stations at PKR 15.795 billion
- Component-II of Economic Development & Uplift of Areas Adjoining the Motorway at PKR 8.357 billion for preparations and feasibilities
- Dasu Hydropower project (stage-1) at PKR 510.980 billion
- Lahore Water & Wastewater Management project at a cost of PKR 21.045 billion
ECNEC also granted its approval for the Planning Commission’s proposal to simplify the release process of development funds. This includes the release of project-wise funds for ongoing projects approved by the relevant ministries or divisions during the first week of each quarter. This process will follow the criteria as defined by the Finance Division.