Karachi: The Sindh government has allocated PKR 8 billion for 19 infrastructure development projects in its provincial budget for fiscal year 2021-22, reported a news source. The funds reserved for infrastructural development projects last year was PKR 1.94 billion.
As per the details, PKR 6.6 billion of the allocated money would be spent on 13 new programmes, with the remainder allocated to the six ongoing projects. The authorities have made the funds allocation under the head of “Karachi mega projects”.
The following is a breakdown of the PKR 6.6 billion earmarked for more prominent of these projects:
- PKR 1.6 billion has been set aside for the construction of a flyover in Jauhar Chowrangi.
- PKR 1.1 billion has been allocated for the construction of Shahrah-i-Noor Jahan from Abdullah College to Qalandaria Chowk in North Nazimabad
- In Lyari, PKR 995 million has been set aside for the reconstruction/rehabilitation of Chakiwara Road, Mehrab Khan Essa Road, and Tannery Road.
- PKR 450 million for the construction of a road from Gulberg Chowrangi to the UBL Sports Complex
- PKR 370 million for the rehabilitation of a road from Shershah Chowk to the Mirza Adam Khan Road intersection.
- PKR 261 million has been set aside for the improvement/rehabilitation of internal roads/streets in Dr Ruth Pfau.
- PKR 250 million has been allocated for the development of the public park in district Central
- A total of PKR 600 million is set aside for these three projects:
- Rehabilitation and widening of the road from Razzaqabad to the Sheedi Goth Powerhouse,
- Rehabilitation and construction of the Rafiqi Shaheed Road from Sharea Faisal to Askari-II,
- Rehabilitation of the approach roads to the Lyari Expressway
In addition to the above-mentioned projects, the provincial government has also added PKR 1 billion for the rehabilitation and development of major drains in the city under the Greater Karachi Sewerage Plan, also known as S-III. Similarly, to address the growing water needs of the city, PKR 800 million is allocated for Greater Karachi Water Supply Scheme also called the K-IV project.